Friday, August 03, 2007

Last night was one of the best nights I've had in a while! I had been thinking about joining a support group that I could talk to "real" women going through this. I knew there had to be somebody out there! Well I went to the Lakewood Church website (HUGE church here in Houston.. Pastor Joel Osteen) and THANK GOD I found a group called HOPE. It stands for Hearts of Promise and Expection. I quickly looked to see when and where they meet and its in a classroom and its every first Thursday of the month from 7-9pm. Well what do you know?? Last night was the 1st Thursday of the month! HA! Of course, I went back and forth on whether not to go, I even got out of my car and came back inside but then I told myself, "NO, YOU ARE GOING!".
It was a long drive (about 45minutes) but worth it! I pictured maybe 2-3 girls but when I arrived I was surprised to see about 15! By the end it was about 18 women in the classroom. It was really nice, the leader has been ttc#1 for 8-9 years. Every single woman had her story. We went around the circle and shared our story, if we wanted. Of course, I wanted to. It's very hard to talk to real people about this, as a matter of fact, I don't talk about it except to Aaron. Soo I opened up, cried of course and just talked about ttc, ivf, and miscarriage. Everyone was very supportive. I cried along with others. One woman announced her pg! She did ivf where I did mine and in July like me. I had seen her in the office so I recognized her. They are reading a book called Hannan's Hope (or something like that) and they are only on chapter 2. I received a book and each month we go over a chapter. Last night it touched the subject of Envy, Jealousy, Bitterness. Everyone shared a story about jealousy and it was really good to hear that I am not the only one that struggles with this.
The leader gave me some baby socks. Cute! That have a little note saying "Thank you for visiting" and it had 2 bible verses on it. And... really cool part!!! Debra Duncan who is a news lady here came and gave her story. It was refreshing to hear and I had NO idea she struggled with IF and m/c. She did finally have her children but it was a struggle. She encouraged everybody and was very open.
Overall it was a great experience! Once it was over the leader went around and prayed for everybody. She prayed for me and my test on Monday. She prayed about my m/c. It was exactly what I needed. I even ended up making 2 friends!
I came home and Aaron was surprised that I went. I am not very good with new people and often come across as stuck up but its because I get shy not because I am snobby. He was proud of me. I plan to go back and make this part of my support system. I can't believe how good I felt afterwards. On the way home I thanked God for leading me there. It was just what I needed and He knew that.
So that was my night. I got home pretty late and ate something then went to bed. I was beat!

TGIF!! Yay for the weekend. Aaron is supposed to be on call tomorrow (our anniversary) for a big pay per view fight. They drew names and he was 3rd on the list. So most likely they won't call him but I know he won't want to go far and that he will be checking his phone. Not very romantic. Sooo he is going to see if somebody can take his place. Hopefully!

Anyways, thats whats going on!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Hi there. I'm a fellow FFer, joyful_psalmist is my screen name. I'm so glad you had a great experience at the meeting. Its sounds like such a great idea to have support for those of us who have been through struggles with IF and m/c. I know I am always grateful to meet someone who understands.

Best wishes--and hopefully you get good news on Monday.

Anonymous said...

Hannah's hope is a great book. I am glad you were able to find some comfort with a group of "real women." It really does help to be able to talk with people who "get it"

Praying for you Hun, lots of strength vibes for your weekend.